Relay for Life teams ready for big event
Enthusiasm is running high for the annual Relay for Life, Graham County’s always bold statement against cancer.
Teams recently finalized plans and geared up for the June 16 event themed “Hope Around the World” with a kickoff banquet at Robbinsville High School.
After welcoming participants and supporters, event chair Jimmie Holder detailed what will take place when Relay for Life begins at 6 p.m. at the high school. She explained that:
* Luminaries will be available at the relay until 9 p.m. Cost
is $5 for white bags, $25 for purple bags and $100 for torches.
The luminaries will be lit at
* There will be a silent walk after lighting of the candles at 9:30 p.m.;
* Entertainment, including clogging, will take place during the event;
* A kid’s corner will include train ride, bounce house, football throw, face painting, hair coloring and games;
* There will be a photo booth;
* There will be a 50/50 drawing;
* Teams with booths will be offering cotton candy, fry bread and chili, popcorn, ice cream, drinks, etc.;
* Barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, drinks and water will be sold at a concession stand.
The event will be held rain or shine. The event will be moved into the high school gym if the weather is inclement.